Tuesday, September 30, 2014

100-ish Days of Digital Preservation

Hello, there. It's been a little over 100 days since I started as Dartmouth College Library's first Digital Preservation Librarian. I've been working closely with staff in many departments to define my role and work out how best to ensure long term access to the Library's digital content. Here are some of the things that I've been up to:

  • Maxed out our master file server space.
  • Learned about awesome projects and connected with colleagues at Digital Preservation 2014.
  • Made some head-way into assessing our e-resource preservation strategies.
  • Used BagIt to package 45,000 files totaling 2413 GB for long-term storage (see above re: maxing out server space).
  • Started digging into PREMIS .
  • Learned to harness the power of Twitter for professional research #digipres .
  • Started brainstorming strategies for preserving analog and born-digital a/v content.
  • Dipped my toes into web and database preservation in response to a faculty inquiry.
  • Got really excited about sustainability and digital humanities projects.
Digital Preservation Brainstorming!

 I’m looking forward to my role in the Library continuing to evolve and grow over time. As these and other projects develop, I will tell you all about them here. Stay tuned for the next 100-ish days of Digital Preservation!


Written by Jennifer Mullins

No comments:

Post a Comment